Anheuser-Busch Plugged Travis Scott’s Cacti Hard Seltzer line. The brewing company announced the closure in a statement on Friday.
“After careful evaluation, we decided to discontinue all production and brand development of CACTI Agave Spiked Seltzer. We believe brand fans will understand and respect this decision, “a representative said in a statement.
As Rolling stone Notably, the brand’s social media pages have already been deleted, and the original Cacti announcement has been removed from Anheuser-Busch’s website.
Although beverage maker Cacti Hard did not cite the Astroworld tragedy as the reason for the closure of Seltzer, sales did not appear to be a problem. When the drink first hit the market in March 2021, it quickly sold out online and it was difficult to store it in stores. “Several of them say they’ve never seen anything like it before: sold out in a day,” CEO Michelle Dukeris told CNBC at the time.
The partnership lasted until November 30, at which time both sides reached a “mutual” decision to stop production of Cacti Hard Seltzer.
“Travis made it clear in his interview that he was no longer focused on business and that his priority was to help heal his community and fans,” the representative said, referring to Scott’s first interview since the tragedy. “Cacti AB has asked InBev to inform their wholesalers that the product will not be available at this time.”
Scott lost this first major branding deal in the wake of the AstroWorld tragedy, which claimed the lives of nine people. The rapper has been the victim of nearly 300 lawsuits in the past month and has vowed to pay for the victims’ funerals.
“It simply came to our notice then. I have a responsibility to find a solution, “said Scott in an interview earlier this week. “Hopefully this takes a first step for us as artists, we have more insight into what’s happening.”